In honor of this spoooooooky holiday, today’s vegetarian recipe is a dessert sure to bring the heebie jeebies to your dinner table:
Vegan Monster Mud Pie
Instead of pigging out on trick-or-treating candy after dinner, why not bring out this muddy (slightly more healthy just because we’ve added quinoa) dessert filled with creepy crawly worms, spiders, and covered with cobwebs! But beware: this recipe makes a cauldron-full.
- 2 cups Quinoa
- 7 cups coconut milk (unsweetened is best, but if you’re feeling ghoulish go for a fun flavor!)
- 2/3 c maple syrup or agave
- 3 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 bag crushed oreos
- Vegan gummy worms
- 1 black cauldron
- Black plastic spiders
- Spider webs/cob webs
- (optional) zombie hand
- Clean out your cauldron. Fill the bottom with a layer of crushed oreo dirt. Put your zombie hand into the cauldron with the fingers reaching up. The zombie hand will be fully covered by the mud pie… a spooky surprise!
- In a large pot, combine the first 5 ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and allow the pudding to simmer with lid cracked open for 45-50 minutes or until Quinoa softens.
- Remove the lid and simmer for 5 minutes until the pudding thickens.
- Put the pot in the refrigerator and allow pudding to cool for 1 hour.
- After an hour, layer the quinoa pudding on top of the oreo crumbles. Add another layer of oreo crumbles and place some gummy worms into the ‘dirt’. Continue layering until the zombie hand is completely covered. Make sure the top layer of oreos is nice and thick with lots of icky worms.
- Cover your cauldron with cob webs and place some spiders in the webs. Place the entire cauldron in the refrigerator and serve chilled!