I don’t know about you, but until recently face masks were filed strictly under the ‘For Moms & Sleepovers’ category of my mind. I envisioned green goop and ponytails and cucumbers over the eyes… definitely not a necessary part of my busy beauty routine.
But it seems times are changing…
And I’m not the only one who’s noticed. The September issue of Allure magazine features a 4 page spread on masks and their evolution from slumber party goop to heavy duty beauty essential. Read the full story here.
The role of the mask is changing, my friends, because masks themselves are changing. Masks are evolving into full blown beauty treatments that contain powerful, potent ingredients specially formulated to seep into the skin over an extended period of time. Because they cleanse the skin and rid it of impurities, most masks even improve the efficacy of your every day beauty ritual!
This brings us to (arguably) the most important job of a mask- ritual. Incorporating a face mask is the perfect way to turn your everyday beauty routine into a beauty ritual. Here are simple steps to turning your humdrum routine into a relaxing ritual:
- Light a candle in your favorite scent and put on something warm and fuzzy
- Begin the ritual with your cleanser. Massage the cleanser into your face, then rinse clean.
- On cleansed skin, apply the mask of your choice. Let it sit for 15-30 minutes while your mind focuses on the scent journey your candle is taking you on.
- Rinse off the mask and apply a toner, serum or both to calm skin and lock in the nutrients from the mask.
- Finish the ritual with your night-time moisturizer and a cup of tea
So there you have it- masks reborn. Not sure what kind of mask to incorporate into your daily ritual? Check out some skin specific suggestions:
Dry, Rough Skin: Try This One!
Dull, Lackluster Skin: Try This One!
Oily, Blemish-Prone Skin: Try This One!